Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, This one went a bit long. Please give me suggestions, edits, and help me reign it in and make it sound more intelligent. And does the stringing zen section make sense to anyone but me. (Andi, that section might illustrate what I was telling you that you need to do for your HM boy... assuming you don't want to just gift him to me. :D)
There are some real problems with tenses in the last half, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine.
EDIT:Â It's in about the same format as part one... a description of pieces plus a tutorial.Â So I can't really remove anything else - I already cut the sueding tutorial (there have been a bajillion sueding tutorials out there anyway).
Caption: Rory (Volks SD13 Link) and Constantine (Volks Yo-SD Rengemaru) are meeting Apollo (Volks SD13 Kohya) for an autumn picnic. The two larger dolls have locking mechanisms in their legs and hips that allow them to stand even on the slightly uneven terrain.
Continuing in this series on doll poseability and modification, this article will cover the lower body. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, The jointing in the hips and legs is largely what determines how well your doll will be able to sit and stand. Almost all BJD can stand unsupported, but that task becomes more difficult when you add clothing and shoes.
Caption: Volks SD13 boy (left), Dolkot Kiss boy (right)
There are several things to notice about the shape of the hip sockets. First, is the ball of the hip-joint more enclosed, or is the joint more open. There are several popular styles of hip joints, but most of them fall into two catagories.
1) One type of joint is a front-facing hip socket that partially encloses the thigh piece on the sides, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. As an example, the Volks SD13 body (pictured) has this design. This type of joint is very stable, though it has a somewhat limited range of movement. The sides of the socket prevent a doll's legs from opening outward, but still allow forward and back movement. However, this design allows a doll to stand and sit very well. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, It's also good for automatically avoiding unnatural poses; this joint is only able to move in the ways that real people can move.
2) In the other, the socket is open on the sides of the hips. Cerberus Project Delfs have this style, as do Dollshe 70cm dolls. This jointing type allows for a lot of movement. Dolls with this design can spread their legs outward and can often cross their legs at the knee. However, unless they have other design elements that stabilize them (such as the double-joint in the Delf hip socket), they can sometimes have trouble standing or problems with their legs rotating backwards in the joint, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine.
Another consideration is how the sockets are situated in the hip piece. If they are more downward-facing, this type will normally sit on its thigh pieces - the doll's backside may not actually be in contact with whatever it's sitting on, 150mg Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. By contrast, a hip socket that faces slightly forward will usually allow the doll to sit on its butt. This detail isn't overly noticeable when the doll is clothed, though it does affect how naturally the dolls back and legs can be posed while sitting.
Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, Caption: Left to right: Dolkot Kiss boy, old-style Volks MSD girl, Volks SD16 Boy (photo credit: Michelle Vasquez)
As with everything else, there are a few popular shapes of thigh joint.
1) The first is the simplest - the thigh piece is capped off by a half-circle with a slit for the elastic to pass though. Sometimes the thigh is one smooth piece, but it will have the same "look". The top of the thigh looks mostly the same from all sides - smoothly curving up into a rounded top to fit into the socket. This style has a harder time standing and sitting than others because it has no mechanism to lock the joints or prevent the thigh from swiveling in the socket. It's not a bad design, but it can be somewhat frustrating, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. The Dolkot boy body has a design like this, as do the oldest style of the Volks SD10 line.
2) When viewed from the side, the second type has a vaguely hammer-shaped ball-joint at the top. This dip beneath the ball prevents the leg from turning around backwards and it also helps the doll to stand by locking into place inside the hip socket. It doesn't allow the range of movement that the previous type does, but it provides great stability in posing. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, Most newer Volks dolls use this design.
3) The last type is a two-piece thigh that has a rotating upper piece. Dolls who have this design element have a great range of movement because they can rotate their thighs outward to cross their legs. Not many dolls have this design, but some examples are Serendipity I.S.M.Y, Volks Yukinojo, Bambicrony.
Caption: Left to right: Cerberus Project Delf boy, 60cm Narin (photo credit: Elizabeth Vegvary), Volks SD16 boy and Dollshe boy (photo credit: Elizabery Vegvary)
Knees are probably the most crucial joint for making your doll stand. There are three popular knee styles, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine.
1) In the first style, the joint divides the leg in half just above the knee (so the knee is attached to the shin/calf piece). This style is probably the most common; All dolls from Cerberus Project, Volks (exclusing SDCute and SD16), Angel Region, Custom House, and Dream of Doll have this type of joint. The style is sturdy and works especially well with different stabilizing techniques and modifications, such as sueding. Some companies who use this style have additional locking mechanisms built into the joint. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, 2) The second style has a joint that divides the leg in half just below the knee. This style usually hides the knee joint better than the first type because of the natural shape of the knee and thigh. It looks nice when sitting or standing. 10mg Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, The stability and range of motion is comparable to the first type. Both of these types have a maximum bend of about 90 degrees, unless you want to dislocate the joint, which rarely (read: never) looks good. 3) The last common type divides the leg in half, then features a separate knee joint, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. There are several variations on this type, but the extra piece is usually lozenge shaped and fits between the calf and thigh pieces. On Volks SD16 boy, this pieces is housed inside the leg and is only visible when the knee is bent. With most others, such as Dollshe Hound or Volks SD Cute, this joint is always visible and is sculpted to look like the kneecap. Depending on how it's executed, this type can be very smooth and sleek... Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, or it can be somewhat of a mechanical eyesore. However, it does allow the deepest knee-bend, allowing these dolls to sit back on their heels.
(Picture coming soon)
Caption: Left: Volks old-style SD10 boy. Right: Dollshe boy (photo credit: Janne Skipper).
Doll ankles can have many methods of attachment, similar to wrists (which were covered in the last issue). So let's focus on a different aspect of ankle joints - the shape of the ball.
The type shown on the left in the picture is rounder, almost a sphere, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. This type of ankle is very flexible and can roll in, out, forward and back. It is less stable, but the range of movement makes it very easy to make your doll stand because the feet are easy to position. The second type (on the right) is narrower and more oblong. It blends into the foot and creates a smoother, more natural line. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, This shape does not have as much ability to turn or rotate in the socket, making it quite stable. However, some of the subtlety of poseability in the ankle is lost.
Ultimately, the nitpicky details aren't always important, as long as your doll can do what you want it to - be it sit, stand, or assume Matrix-like crazy poses. The last article in this series will cover posing "gimmicks," like the Delf double-jointed hips and the Volks locking leg joints.
Caption: Most of these dolls are made by different companies and have different poseability. Even those with posing problems can be made to look beautiful in still photos - poseability and play value are priorities you need to consider as owner!
Modder's Basics: Zen, Stringing Channels, and the Path of Least Resistance
In an ideal world, all dolls would be perfectly balanced and strung, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. In reality, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine us, though, many dolls have issues with their stringing that prevent them from posing well... even if the joints are otherwise well-formed. I'd like to introduce one of the Big Ideas of joint modification: elastic and the path of least resistance.
The elastic used to string ball-jointed dolls is thick and stretchy. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, Moving the doll's limbs will stretch the elastic and put strain on it. Naturally, the elastic will want to have the least tension possible and will make every effort to return to a less-stressed position. Ideally, your doll's elastic would look like this inside the doll; the elastic would run in (mostly) straight lines and the holes in the pieces would line up with each other.
Often, though, dolls have errors in their stringing channels. Let's use the example of the stringing in the hips and thighs of a 2 piece torso. Most dolls have hips that look something like this: the pelvic piece with sockets and string holes, and then thighs with long slots for the elastic to pass though, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. In the best possible situation, the stringing holes in the hip sockets are located right in line with the slots in the thigh pieces. This will allow the legs to face forward when they are at rest.
What happens when the holes are too close together.
The elastic doesn't line up with the slot in the thigh, breaking the neat, straight line of the elastic. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, To try to correct this, the thighs swivel outward so that the elastic will line up with the stringing slot.
If the holes are too far apart, the opposite happens - the legs turn inward.
Stringing conflicts like this can happen anywhere in the body. Being able to look at the joints and figure out why a piece is turning or snapping out of place is a crucial step in trying to fix it.
Correcting Stringing Channels and Assessing Issues!
The rest of this isn't so much a tutorial as an illustration of how I have attempted to resolve some of the problems with my Kiss body. I hope that they will give you ideas for correcting problems caused by your doll's stringing channels, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. If you have a Kiss body, you may find these modifications helpful.
This picture pretty much epitomizes everything I dislike about this body. He doesn't stand well because his thighs don't point forward and his knee joint slips and his tummy pops out of joint. Some people complain that the only way to make the doll stand is with his feet turned in, his chest stooped, and his head bowed. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, I would like to change that.
The first step of joint modification is assessment. It's important to really look at the doll and pinpoint exactly what is happening... and then to look and see what is supposed to be happening. The next logical jump is to figure out how to make changes so that will happen.
Here is an example: when I pull his tummy further out of joint, the edge of the torso piece skims over the top of a slightly raised shape inside the hip piece (colored red in the illustration), Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. I can see what is supposed to be happening - the raised shape is supposed to create a little "ledge" for his upper torso piece to stop against. 30mg Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, However... it's much too short. This part, at least, will be an easy fix.
Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, When just flop him down on my floor, one thigh turns outward and one turns in. This shows me that I need to look at the stringing holes on the inside of his hip-sockets. after drawing a simple diagram, I can see how the string must be pulling. The holes in the socket will need to be moved slightly. Later when I take him apart, I can see the insides of his hip piece and make some plans - I will use my Dremel to cut out the area indicated by the red dotted line. Then I will use epoxy putty to fill in the area colored green in the photo, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine.
After this, I took him apart and looked at some other things. Here is the view of the thighs and hip piece, from the top. When I look through the stringing holes, I can see that the one side needs to have the stringing slot cut higher - where it is now, the elastic will be pinched between the edge of the hole and the top of the stringing slot if the leg is straight. I will make both sides approximately match.
Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, To fix these problems, I first go through and mark the pieces as I will be modifying them. Then using my Dremel and a cutting bit, I lengthen the slots in the thighs. I am also going to lengthen them downward to help him sit more naturally. For safety, either do this modification wet or wear a dust mask. Resin particles aren't good for your health, so you should avoid inhaling them whenever possible.
Next, I cut the stringing hole in the hip pieces, as per my plan, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. After these have been made bigger, I use epoxy putty to fill in the inner part of the hole on his right side. This effectively "moves" the stringing hole outward. I prefer Milliput (white) for small modifications, though Aves Apoxie Sculpt is also very nice. I tend to use Milliput for modifying dolls and Apoxie Sculpt for sculpting from scratch. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, They are very similar products, though each has some pros and cons. Both are very good and both can be used for these sorts of projects. Whenever you sculpt an addition to an existing piece, you need to make sure that you blend the epoxy onto the piece to make sure that it is going to adhere. Just putting it on and pressing will not create a strong bond; smear and smooth your addition against the exisiting piece. After this has set, I will go in with sandpaper and remove any excess.
Finally, I use epoxy putty to build the raised shape in the hip piece taller, Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. This doesn't need to be beautiful or glamorous, 50mg Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, though I am going to try to be as tidy as possible.
After this, I had to wait overnight for the putty to set up completely before restringing.
Assessment: These changes were partially successful. His torso no longer pops out of joint at the slightest provocation, which is a great, wonderful thing. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine, If I pick him up wrong, his torso still seperates slightly... but he is now much less likely to just buckle backwards from the hip when I am trying to make him stand. In retrospect, I could (and should) have made that inner piece even taller. The modifications to the stringing holes and slots have also been partially successful. Sueding the joints that I modified brings the stability back up further... and while he may never be able to assume the crazy poses of the Domuya Flexi-body, he can stand and sit well. I have other ideas for how to modify his knees (which are still slipping) and I've measured and found that one leg is slightly longer than the other. However, I'll save it for another day.
Similar posts: Cialis Story. Colchicine And Vision Loss. 30mg Zithromax Info. Fish Antibiotics Erythromycin 250 Mg usa.
Trackbacks from: Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. 200mg Soaking Seeds In Colchicine. Soaking Seeds In Colchicine ebay.